Cost-effective Small Form-factor Pluggable (SFP) transceivers for Gigabit Ethernet applications
The industry-standard Cisco® Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) Gigabit Interface Converter (Figure 1) links your switches and routers to the network. The hot-swappable input/output device plugs into a Gigabit Ethernet port or slot. Optical and copper models can be used on a wide variety of Cisco products and intermixed in combinations of 1000BASE-T, 1000BASE-SX, 1000BASE-LX/LH, 1000BASE-EX, 1000BASE-ZX, or 1000BASE-BX10-D/U on a port-by-port basis.
Features and Benefits
- Hot swappable to maximize uptime and simplify serviceability
- Flexibility of media and interface choice on a port-by-port basis, so you can “pay as you populate”
- Robust design for enhanced reliability
- Supports digital optical monitoring (DOM) capability
1000BASE-SX SFP for Multimode Fiber Only
The 1000BASE-SX SFP, compatible with the IEEE 802.3z 1000BASE-SX standard, operates on legacy 50 ?m multimode fiber links up to 550 m and on 62.5 ?m Fiber Distributed Data Interface (FDDI)-grade multimode fibers up to 220 m. It can support up to 1km over laser-optimized 50 ?m multimode fiber cable.
Cabling and Connectors
Connectors include the following:
- Dual LC/PC connector (1000BASE-SX, 1000BASE-LX/LH, 1000BASE-EX and 1000BASE-ZX)
- Single LC/PC connector (1000BASE-BX-D and 1000BASE-BX-U)
- RJ-45 connector (1000BASE-T)
Dimensions (H x W x D): 8.5 x 13.4 x 56.5 mm. Cisco SFPs typically weigh 75 grams or less.
Environmental Conditions and Power Requirements
Operating temperature range:
- Commercial temperature range (COM): 0 to 70°C (32 to 158°F)
- Extended temperature range (EXT): -5°C to 85°C (23 to 185°F)
- Industrial temperature range (IND): -40 to 85°C (-40 to 185°F)
- Storage temperature range: -40 to 85°C (-40 to 185°F)
Cisco SFP modules typically consume up to 1W per SFP port, with the exception of the Compact SFP (GLC-2BX-D) consuming up to 1.5W.
Standard warranty: 1 year
Extended warranty (option): Available under a Cisco SMARTnet® Service support contract for the Cisco switch or router chassis
Regulatory and Standards Compliance
- Laser Class I 21CFR1040 LN#50 7/2001
- Laser Class I IEC 60825-1
- IEEE 802.3z
- IEEE 802.3ah
- GR-20-CORE: Generic Requirements for Optical Fiber and Optical Fiber Cable
- GR-326-CORE: Generic Requirements for Single-Mode Optical Connectors and Jumper Assemblies
- GR-1435-CORE: Generic Requirements for Multifiber Optical Connectors