The Cisco® Catalyst® Compact Switches easily expand your Ethernet and Multigigabit Ethernet infrastructure outside the wiring closet to enable new workspaces, extend wireless LANs, and connect PoE devices. These fanless, small form-factor switches are ideal for space-constrained deployments where multiple cable runs would be challenging. With speeds that reach 10Gbps, the Cisco Catalyst 3560CX Multigigabit Ethernet Switches support current and next-generation wireless speeds and standards (including 802.11ac Wave 2) on existing cabling infrastructure.
The Cisco Catalyst 3560-CX and 2960-CX Series Compact Switches help optimize network deployments. These Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) and Multigigabit Ethernet (mGig) managed switches are ideal for high-speed data connectivity, Wi-Fi backhaul, and Power over Ethernet (PoE+) connectivity in places where space is at a premium. With a single copper or fiber cable from the wiring closet, Cisco Catalyst compact switches enable IP connectivity for devices such as IP phones, wireless access points, surveillance cameras, PCs, and video endpoints.
With their quiet, fanless design and compact footprint, these switches can come out of the data closet and be placed closer to the users. This means shorter cable runs and greater flexibility as you grow your network.
- 8 or 12 Gigabit Ethernet ports with line rate forwarding performance
- 6 Gigabit Ethernet plus 2 Multigigabit Ethernet (100 Mbps/1/2.5/5/10 Gbps) ports with line rate forwarding performance (selected model)
- Gigabit and Multigigabit (100 Mbps/1/2.5/5/10 Gbps) copper, small form-factor pluggable (SFP) or 10G SFP+ uplinks
- Power over Ethernet Plus (PoE+) support with up to 240W of PoE budget
- Power over Ethernet (PoE) pass-through enables the compact switch to draw Cisco Universal PoE
- (Cisco UPOE™) power from the wiring closet and pass it to end devices (selected model) with the additional option to be powered by auxiliary AC-DC or DC-DC power adapter
- Cisco Instant Access mode to enable single point of management and simplify operation (selected models)
- Advanced Layer 2 (LAN Base) and Layer 3 (IP Base) support with an option to upgrade to IP services
- Fanless design and silent operation
- Enhanced Limited Lifetime Warranty (E-LLW)
Features and Benefits
Like the larger Cisco Catalyst switches typically used in wiring closets, the Cisco Catalyst Compact switches are
a managed option for consistency across your LAN switching network. Unlike unmanaged switches and hubs, they provide advanced networking features for flexibility, security, and scale.
- Small form factor; fanless design; silent operation : The switch can be used in open workspaces and other areas that cannot tolerate equipment noise and where multiple cable runs could be difficult, expensive, and intrusive.
- Flexible mounting options : The switch can be mounted on the wall, under a desk, rack, DIN rail, or practically anywhere they are needed.
- Cisco Multigigabit Ethernet : With the enormous growth of 802.11ac and new wireless applications, wireless devices are driving the demand for more network bandwidth. This creates a need for a technology that supports speeds higher than 1 Gbps on all cabling infrastructure. Cisco Multigigabit Ethernet technology is a unique Cisco innovation that allows you to achieve bandwidth between speeds of 100Mbps and 10 Gbps over traditional Cat 5e cabling or above. In addition, the Multigigabit ports on the Cisco Catalyst Compact switch support PoE+, which is increasingly important for next-generation workspaces and Internet of Things (IoT) ecosystems. The Multigigabit Ethernet ports can also be used as uplinks to connect to traditional access switches such as the Cisco Catalyst 3850/4500 switches.
Cisco Multigigabit technology offers significant benefits for a diverse range of speeds, cable types, and PoE power. The benefits can be grouped into three different areas:
- Multiple speeds: Cisco Multigigabit technology supports autonegotiation of multiple speeds on switch ports. The supported speeds are 100 Mbps, 1 Gbps, 2.5 Gbps, and 5 Gbps on Cat 5e cable and up to 10 Gbps over Cat 6a cabling.
- Cable type: The technology supports a wide range of cable types, including Cat 5e, Cat 6, and Cat 6a or above.
- PoE power: The technology supports PoE and PoE+ for all the supported speeds and cable types.
- 10-Gigabit SFP+ uplinks : Accommodates business growth and increased traffic, such as aggregate upstream gigabit traffic loads from 802.11ac Wi-Fi access points.
- Increased PoE+ Scale : Provides up to 240W of PoE+ budget (twice the power per switch than previous series).
- Perpetual PoE : Provides uninterrupted power to a powered-down device even when the switch is booting. This eliminates the need for a backup power source.
- PoE pass-through : PoE pass-through gives the ability to power PoE end devices through drawing Cisco UPOE from the wiring closet. The Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PT-S has eight downlink ports with two Cisco UPOE input ports that allow it to be powered by another switch. These switches do not need a power supply and receive power over the uplink from an upstream PoE or Cisco UPOE device, providing deployment flexibility and availability. These switches are ideal for wiring-constrained and space-constrained applications.
Management and Operations
- Cisco SDA Extended Node : SDA Extended Node provides Cisco DNA Center Automation and Assurance for C3560CX switches. It also extends Fabric Benefits (e.g. stretch subnet) to end points connected to the switches, allowing consistent segmentation and policy-based access.
- SDA Extended Node requires Cisco DNA-A license on the C3560CX switches, and a Fabric-Edge Capable switch at the upstream.
- Cisco Network Plug ‘n Play (PnP) : Network Plug-n-Play (PnP) is a secure, scalable solution that accelerates network device deployments by automating the installation and configuration of Cisco IOS software. The Cisco Catalyst 3560-CX and 2960-CX switches are ‘Network-PnP Ready’ and can be used as part of the APIC-EM solution for automated switch deployments. This feature helps improve productivity, cut costs, reduce downtime, and enhance the user experience.
- Cisco Catalyst Smart Operations : This comprehensive set of Cisco Catalyst technologies and Cisco IOS Software features simplify LAN deployment, configuration, and troubleshooting.
- Cisco Smart Install enables the configuration of the Cisco IOS Software image and switch without user intervention.
- Cisco Auto Smartports provides automatic configuration as end devices connect to the switch port, allowing autodetection and plug-and-play of the device onto the network. Interface templates containing configurations or policies that can be applied to ports are also supported.
- Cisco Smart Troubleshooting is an extensive array of debug diagnostic commands and system health checks, including Generic Online Diagnostics (GOLD) and Onboard Failure Logging (OBFL).
- Embedded Event Manager (EEM), supported on the Cisco Catalyst 3560-CX, provides real-time network event detection and onboard automation. You can adapt the behavior of your network devices to align with business needs.
- Cloud and System Management :
- Cisco Prime® Infrastructure provides comprehensive network lifecycle management with an extensive library of features that automate initial and day-to-day management. Cisco Prime integrates hardware and software platform expertise and operational experience into a powerful set of workflow-driven configuration, monitoring, troubleshooting, reporting, and administrative tools.
- Cisco Network Assistant is a PC-based, centralized network management and configuration application for small and medium-sized business (SMB) with up to 250 users. An intuitive GUI lets you easily apply common services across Cisco switches, routers, and access points.
- Cisco Active Advisor is a cloud-based service that provides essential lifecycle information about your network inventory. Available by itself or as a component of other Cisco network management applications, it helps you reduce your network’s overall risk by keeping you up-to-date on the status of your products.
- Operational Simplicity :
- Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) for creating Ethernet channeling with devices that conform to IEEE 802.3ad. Similar to Cisco EtherChannel technology and PAgP.
- Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) autoconfiguration of multiple switches through a boot server.
- Multicast VLAN Registration (MVR) continuously sends multicast streams in a multicast VLAN. Isolates streams from subscriber VLANs for bandwidth and security reasons.
- Voice VLAN keeps voice traffic on a separate VLAN for easier administration and troubleshooting.
- Cisco VLAN Trunking Protocol (VTP) supports dynamic VLANs and dynamic trunk configuration across all switches.
- Remote Switch Port Analyzer (RSPAN) allows administrators to remotely monitor ports in a Layer 2 switch network from any other switch in the same network.
- For enhanced traffic management, monitoring, and analysis, the Embedded Remote Monitoring (RMON) software agent supports four RMON groups (history, statistics, alarms, and events).
- Cisco TrustSec® : A suite of components that secures networks, data, and resources with policy-based access control, identity, and role-aware networking with the following elements:
- Cisco TrustSec SXP support to simplify security and policy enforcement throughout the network. For more information about Cisco TrustSec security solutions, visit cisco.com/go/TrustSec.
- Hardware on the Cisco Catalyst 3560-CX for IEEE 802.1AE MACsec for Layer 2, line-rate Ethernet data confidentiality and integrity on host-facing ports. Protects against man-in-the-middle attacks (snooping, tampering, and replay).
- Flexible authentication that supports multiple authentication mechanisms including 802.1X, MAC Authentication Bypass, and web authentication using a single, consistent configuration.
- Monitor mode that creates a user-friendly environment for 802.1X operations.
- RADIUS change of authorization and downloadable ACLs for comprehensive policy management.
- 802.1X supplicant with Network Edge Access Transport (NEAT) for extended secure access; compact switches in the conference rooms have the same level of security as switches inside a locked wiring closet.
Threat Defense : Advanced, integrated security features that provide threat defense capabilities for mitigating man-in-the-middle attacks and protecting your critical network infrastructure.
- Superior Layer 2 capabilities for mitigating MAC, IP, and ARP spoofing risks. Also protects port security, guards against DHCP snooping, and supports Dynamic ARP Inspection and IP Source Guard.
- Ipv6 first-hop security with Binding Integrity Guard, RA Guard, and DHCP Guard.
- Private VLAN provides security and isolation between switch ports.
- Multidomain Authentication allows an IP phone and a PC to authenticate on the same switch port while placing them on appropriate voice and data VLAN.
- Secure Shell (SSH), Kerberos, and Simple Network Management Protocol Version 3 (SNMPv3) that encrypt administrator traffic during Telnet and SNMP sessions to keep access credentials secure.
- Port-based Access Control List (ACL) to let the switch automatically allow or block packets based on policies for source and destination IP addresses. Rules can be set up differently on a port-by-port basis.
- Secure Boot to make sure that only signed and authorized images can load on the switch.
- Cisco AutoSecure to simplify security configurations with a single-line CLI.
Power Management and Energy Efficiency
- Switch Hibernate Mode : Innovative technology that puts the switch in an ultra-low power mode during periods of nonoperation such as nights and weekends. The switch can be configured to be in the hibernate mode using the Cisco Energy Management Suite.
- IEEE 802.3az or Energy-Efficient Ethernet (EEE) : Ports dynamically sense idle periods between traffic bursts and quickly switch the interfaces into a low-power idle mode, reducing power consumption.
- Perpetual PoE : Provides uninterrupted power to a powered-down device even when the switch is booting. This eliminates the need for a backup power source.
- PoE pass-through : PoE pass-through gives the ability to power PoE end devices through drawing Cisco UPOE from the wiring closet. The Cisco Catalyst 3560CX-8PT-S has eight downlink ports with two Cisco UPOE input ports that allow it to be powered by another switch. These switches do not need a power supply and receive power over the uplink from an upstream PoE or Cisco UPOE device, providing deployment flexibility and availability.
- Power Supply : 80-Plus Silver Certified.
Traffic Management and QoS
- Application Visibility : NetFlow Lite lets you maintain awareness of all application traffic on the network. It helps capture and record specific packet flows. Exports flow data in the NetFlow Version 9 format for analysis on a wide range of Cisco and third-party collectors.
- Advanced Quality of Service : Intelligent traffic management with flexible mechanisms for marking, classifying, and scheduling traffic at wire speed. Includes:
- Up to eight egress queues per port and strict priority queuing so that the highest priority packets are serviced ahead of all other traffic.
- Shaped Round Robin (SRR) scheduling and Weighted Tail Drop (WTD) congestion avoidance.
- Flow-based rate limiting and up to 256 aggregate or individual policers per port.
The Cisco Catalyst Compact Switches are available in nine switch models. They vary by whether they support both Layer 2 and Layer 3 services or Layer 2 services only; whether they support Power over Ethernet Plus (PoE+); by the number of Gigabit Ethernet and Multigigabit Ethernet ports; the aggregate power provided, and the type of cabling connections they support.
- Ethernet Ports : 8 x 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
- PoE Output Ports : 8 PoE+
- Available PoE Power : 124W
- Uplinks : 2 x 1G copper plus 2 x 1G SFP
- Default Software : LAN Base
Note: All four uplink ports (two copper and two fiber) can be used simultaneously and also as downlinks.
Cisco Catalyst 3560-CX compact switches ship with the IP Base version of Cisco IOS® Software. The 3560-CX switches can be upgraded to use the IP Services version of IOS Software with a Right-To-Use (RTU) License. The IP Base and IP Services feature set on Cisco Catalyst 3560-CX switches provides baseline enterprise services in addition to all LAN Base features. They support Layer 3 networking features, including support for routed access, Cisco TrustSec, Media Access Control security (MACsec), and other advanced network services. The IP Services feature set provides full Layer 3 routing capabilities with Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), Border Gateway Protocol (BGP), Enhanced Internal Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP), Policy-Based Routing (PBR), Multicast Routing, and Virtual Routing and Forwarding (VRF) Lite.
Cisco Catalyst 2960-CX Series compact switches ship with the LAN Base version of Cisco IOS Software. These switches deliver advanced Layer 2 switching with intelligent Layer 2 through 4 services for the network edge, such as voice, video, and wireless LAN services.
Licensing and Software Policy
Customers with Cisco Catalyst LAN Base and IP Base software feature sets will receive updates and bug fixes designed to maintain the compliance of the software with published specifications, release notes, and industry standards compliance as long as the original end user continues to own or use the product or for up to one year from the end-of-sale date for this product, whichever occurs earlier. This policy supersedes any previous warranty or software statement and is subject to change without notice.
- Forwarding Bandwidth : 12 Gbps
- Switching Bandwidth (full-duplex capacity) : 24 Gbps
- Flash memory : 128 MB
- Memory DRAM : 512 MB
- Max VLANs : 255
- VLAN IDs : 4000
- Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) : Up to 9000 bytes
- Jumbo frames : 9198 bytes
- Forwarding rate 64 Byte Packet : 17.9 mpps
- Connectors and cabling
- Cisco Catalyst 3560-CX and 2960-CX Ethernet Interfaces:
- 10BASE-T ports: RJ-45 connectors, 2-pair Category 3, 4, or 5 Unshielded Twisted-Pair (UTP) cabling
- 100BASE-TX ports: RJ-45 connectors, 2-pair Category 5 UTP cabling
- 1000BASE-T ports: RJ-45 connectors, 4-pair Category 5 UTP cabling
- 1000BASE-T SFP-based ports: RJ-45 connectors, 4-pair Category 5 UTP cabling
- Cisco Catalyst 3560-CX and 2960-CX SFP and SFP+ interfaces:
- For information about supported SFP/SFP+ modules, refer to the Transceiver Compatibility matrix tables at
- Power connectors
- Customers can provide power to a switch by using the internal power supply. The connector is located at the back of the switch. The internal power supply is an autoranging unit
- The internal power supply supports input voltages between 100 and 240VAC
- Use the supplied AC power cord to connect the AC power connector to an AC power outlet
- Note: The Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PT-S has an option for an external AC-DC or DC-DC power adapter if desired.
- Indicators : Per-port status: Link integrity, disabled, activity, speed, full-duplex System status: System, link status, link duplex, link speed
- Dimensions (H x W x D) : 1.75 x 10.6 x 9.4 (inches); 4.44 x 26.9 x 23.8 (cms)
- Weight : 5.0 (Pounds); 2.27 (Kilograms)
Environmental ranges :
- Operating* temperature up to 5000 ft (1524 m) : -5°C to +45°C**; +23°F to +113°F
- Operating* temperature up to 10,000 ft (3048 m) : -5°C to +45°C; +23°F to +113°F
- Storage temperature up to 15,000 ft (4572 m) : -25°C to +70°C; -13°F to +158°F
- Operating altitude : Up to 3048 m; Up to 10,000 ft
- Storage altitude : Up to 4000 m; Up to 15,000 ft
- Operating relative humidity : 5% to 95% noncondensing
- Storage relative humidity : 5% to 95% noncondensing
- * Minimum ambient temperature for cold start is 0°C (+32°F)
- ** 10G SKUs have a maximum operating temperature of 40°C. For WS-C3560CX-8XPD-S, the max operating temperature will be 35°C when installed inverted and under fully loaded conditions (max. POE and 10G SFP+ transceivers installed)
- Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) : 569,530
- Measured 100% throughput power consumption : 24.5W
- Measured 10% throughput power consumption : 24.3W
- Measured 0% throughput power consumption (with EEE) : 20.4W
- Measured 100% throughput power consumption (with maximum possible PoE loads) : 161.4W
- AC/DC input voltage and current :
- I/P voltage : 100-240 VAC
- I/P Current : 3.25-1.5A
- Power rating :
- Watts : 170
- KVA : 0.19
- BTU : 648.3
- Power measurements are best and worst case. Best case is 1 PoE+ connection. Worst case is 2 PoE connections.
- PoE and PoE+ :
- Maximum power supplied per Port for PoE+ is 30W
- Maximum power supplied per port for PoE: 15.4W
- PoE Power Supply Characteristics
- Capacity: 300W, Efficiency: 80 Plus Silver certified
- 20 : 85%; 0.8
- 50 : 88%; 0.9
- 100 : 90%; 0.95
Safety and Compliance Support
- Safety standards
- UL 60950-1
- CAN/CSA 22.2 No. 60950-1
- EN 60950-1
- IEC 60950-1
- CE Marking
- GB 4943
- IEC 60825
- Electromagnetic emissions certifications
- FCC Part 15, CFR 47, Class A, North America
- EN/IEC 61000-4-5
- EN 55022 (CISPR22) and EN 55024 (CISPR24), CE marking, European Union
- AS/NZS, Class A, CISPR22:2004 or EN55022, Australia and New Zealand
- VCCI Class A, V-3/2007.04, Japan
- KCC (Formerly MIC, GB17625.1-1998) Class A, KN24/KN22, Korea
- ANATEL, Brazil
- CCC, China
- GOST, Russia
- Environmental : Reduction of Hazardous Substances (ROHS) 6
- Telco : Common Language Equipment Identifier (CLEI) code