Cisco® Catalyst® 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches are fixed-configuration, stackable Gigabit Ethernet switches that provide enterprise-class access for campus and branch applications (Figure 1). They operate on Cisco IOS® Software and support simple device management as well as network management. The Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series provide easy device onboarding, configuration, monitoring, and troubleshooting. These fully managed switches can provide advanced Layer 2 and Layer 3 features as well as optional Power over Ethernet Plus (PoE+) power. Designed for operational simplicity to lower total cost of ownership, they enable scalable, secure, and energy-efficient business operations with intelligent services. The switches deliver enhanced application visibility, network reliability, and network resiliency.
- Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches feature:
- 24 or 48 Gigabit Ethernet ports with line-rate forwarding performance
- 4 fixed 1 Gigabit Ethernet Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) uplinks or 2 fixed 10 Gigabit Ethernet SFP+ uplinks
- PoE+ support with a power budget of up to 740W and Perpetual PoE
- Cisco IOS LAN Base or LAN Lite1 and Cisco IOS IP Lite
- Device management with web UI, over-the-air access via Bluetooth, Command-Line Interface (CLI), Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), and RJ-45 or USB console access
- Network management with Cisco Prime®, Cisco Network Plug and Play, and Cisco DNA™ Center
- Stacking with FlexStack-Plus and FlexStack-Extended
- Layer 3 features with routed access (Open Shortest Path First [OSPF]), static routing, and Routing Information Protocol (RIP)
- Visibility with Domain Name System as an Authoritative Source (DNS-AS) and Full (Flexible) NetFlow
- Security with 802.1X, Serial Port Analyzer (SPAN) and Bridge Protocol Data Unit (BPDU) Guard
- Reliability with higher Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) and Enhanced Limited Lifetime Warranty (E-LLW)
- Resiliency with optional dual field-replaceable power supplies
An external redundant power supply option is supported on the Cisco Catalyst 2960-X Series Switches. These switches come with one fixed power supply and an option for an external redundant power supply (Cisco Redundant Power System [RPS] 2300).
Dual redundant power supplies are supported on the Cisco Catalyst 2960-XR Series Switches. These switches ship with one power supply by default. The second power supply can be purchased at the time of ordering the switch or as a spare. These power supplies have built-in fans to provide cooling.
Switch Models and Configurations
Cisco Catalyst 2960-X Series Switches include a single, fixed power supply and are available with either the Cisco IOS LAN Base or LAN Lite feature set. Cisco Catalyst 2960-XR Series Switches include a field-replaceable modular power supply and can accommodate a second power supply. The 2960-XR Series is available only with the Cisco IOS IP Lite feature set. Tables 4 and 5 list the configurations of the 2960-X and 2960-XR Series, respectively.
All Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches use a single universal Cisco IOS Software image for all SKUs. Depending on the switch model, the Cisco IOS image automatically configures the LAN Lite, LAN Base, or IP Lite feature set.
Note that each switch model is tied to a specific feature level; LAN Lite cannot be upgraded to LAN Base, and LAN Base cannot be upgraded to IP Lite.
For more information about the features included in the LAN Lite, LAN Base, and IP Lite feature sets, refer to Cisco Feature Navigator: https://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp.
Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches support the following on-device management features:
- Web UI via Cisco Configuration Professional. Configuration Professional provides a user interface for day-zero provisioning, which enables easy onboarding of the switch. Configuration Professional also has an intuitive dashboard for configuring, monitoring, and troubleshooting the switch (Figure 3). For more information about Cisco Configuration Professional, please refer to: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/cloud-systems-management/configuration-professional/index.html?dtid=osscdc000283.
- Bluetooth for over-the-air access. The switches support an external Bluetooth dongle that plugs into the USB port on the switch and allows a Bluetooth-based RF connection with an external laptops and tablets (Figure 4). Laptops and tablets can access the switch CLI using a Telnet or Secure Shell (SSH) client over Bluetooth. The GUI can be accessed over Bluetooth with a browser.
The Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches offer a superior CLI for detailed configuration and administration. The switches are also supported by the full range of Cisco network management solutions.
- Cisco DNA Center on the Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches provides a simple web user interface to enterprise network customers for day-zero plug and play, switch discovery and management, topology visualization, and software image management. For details on Cisco DNA Center features, please refer to dnac.cisco.com.
- Cisco Network Plug and Play is supported using the Cisco Application Policy Infrastructure Enterprise Module (APIC-EM) and DNA Center on Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches. This provides a simple, secure, unified, and integrated offering for enterprise network customers to ease new branch or campus device rollouts or for provisioning updates to an existing network with a near zero-touch deployment experience. For detailed information about APIC-EM-based Plug-and-Play capabilities, please refer to Cisco Network Plug and Play.
Cisco Prime Infrastructure provides comprehensive network lifecycle management, including an extensive library of easy-to-use features to automate the initial and day-to-day management of your Cisco network. Cisco Prime technology integrates hardware and software platform expertise and operational experience into a powerful set of workflow-driven configuration, monitoring, troubleshooting, reporting, and administrative tools. For detailed information about Cisco Prime, visit https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/cloud-systems-management/prime.html.
Licenses have to be purchased for using the Cisco Prime Infrastructure, Cisco Network Plug and Play, or Cisco DNA Center network management solution.
Cisco FlexStack-Plus provides stacking of up to eight Cisco Catalyst 2960-X or 2960-XR Series Switches with the optional FlexStack-Plus module (Figure 5).
The FlexStack-Plus module is hot swappable and can be added to any Cisco Catalyst 2960-X or 2960-XR Series Switch with a FlexStack-Plus slot. Switches connected to a stack will automatically upgrade to the stack’s Cisco IOS Software version and transparently join the stack without additional intervention.
To provide investment protection, FlexStack-Plus is backward compatible with FlexStack. Cisco Catalyst 2960-X LAN Base switches equipped with a FlexStack-Plus module can be stacked with Cisco Catalyst 2960-S and 2960-SF LAN Base switches equipped with a FlexStack module (see Table 6). Table 7 lists the scalability and performance of FlexStack with the various software images.
Cisco FlexStack-Extended enables a long-distance out-of-the wiring-closet stack option (floor to floor). It allows back-panel stacking of up to eight Cisco Catalyst 2960-X or 2960-XR Series Switches. FlexStack-Extended can be added to a Cisco Catalyst 2960-X or 2960-XR Series Switch with a back-panel stacking slot. Table 8 lists the switch combinations supported with FlexStack-Extended, and Table 9 lists the scalability and performance with the various software images. FlexStack-Extended is supported in Cisco IOS 15.2(6)E or later and is available in two module configurations: a fiber module and a hybrid module.
The hybrid module has a copper port that enables short-reach connectivity across a local stack of switches (Figure 6). It provides investment protection and compatibility with FlexStack-Plus through the copper port, while the SFP+ port supports distance stacking. The fiber module has two SFP+ ports supporting long-reach out-of-the wiring-closet stacking (Figure 7).
Please refer to Table 18 for information about transceiver and cable compatibility with FlexStack-Extended.
Cisco FlexStack-Plus, FlexStack-Extended, and Cisco IOS Software offer true stacking, with all switches in a stack acting as a single switch unit. FlexStack-Plus and FlexStack-Extended provide a unified data plane, unified configuration, and single IP address for switch management. The advantages of true stacking include lower total cost of ownership and higher availability through simplified management as well as cross-stack features including EtherChannel, SPAN, and Flex Links.
Application Visibility and Control (AVC)
Full (Flexible) NetFlow and NetFlow Lite are both supported on the Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches, thereby enabling IT teams to understand the mix of traffic on their network and identify anomalies by capturing and recording specific packet flows. NetFlow Lite supports flexible sampling of the traffic and exports flow data in the NetFlow Version 9 format for analysis on a wide range of Cisco and third-party collectors.
NetFlow Lite is included on all 2960-X and 2960-XR Series LAN Base and IP Lite models.
Flexible NetFlow is the next generation in flow visibility technology, allowing optimization of the network infrastructure, reducing operation costs, and improving capacity planning and security incident detection with increased flexibility and scalability. The Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches are capable of up to 8000 flow entries in hardware.
Full (Flexible) NetFlow is included on all 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches and requires a Cisco ONE™ Foundation license per switch or a Cisco DNA Essentials license per switch.
More details about Flexible NetFlow are available at https://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6555/ps6601/ps6965/product_data_sheet0900aec d804b590b.html.
The Domain Name System as an Authoritative Source (DNS-AS) feature (AVC with DNS-AS) provides a centralized means of controlling the identification and classification of trusted network traffic in an organization. It accomplishes this by using network metadata stored in a DNS server that is authoritative to the domain in question to identify applications, and Modular Quality-of-Service (QoS) CLI (MQC) to classify the corresponding traffic and apply suitable policies.
DNS-AS is included on all Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches and requires a Cisco ONE Foundation license per switch or a Cisco DNA Essentials license per switch.
Layer 3 Features
The Cisco hardware architecture delivers the following high-performance IP routing features in the Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches:
- Advanced IP unicast routing protocols (OSPF for Routed Access) are supported for load balancing and constructing scalable LANs. IPv6 routing (OSPFv3) is supported in hardware for maximum performance.
- Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) for IP multicast is supported, including PIM Sparse Mode (PIM SM), PIM Dense Mode (PIM-DM), PIM Sparse-Dense Mode, and Source Specific Multicast (SSM).
- Policy-Based Routing (PBR) allows superior control by facilitating flow redirection regardless of the routing protocol configured (for both IPv4 and IPv6).
- IP unicast routing protocols (static and RIPv1 and v2) are supported for network routing applications. Additionally the Cisco hardware architecture delivers the following high-performance IP routing features in the Cisco Catalyst 2960-XR Series Switches:
- IP unicast routing protocols (RIPng and Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol [EIGRP] Stub) are supported for network routing applications.
- EIGRPv3 Stub and PIMv6 Stub are supported as a part of the IPv6 routing suite.
- Equal-cost routing facilitates Layer 3 load balancing and redundancy across the stack.
- Hot Standby Routing Protocol (HSRP) and Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP) provide dynamic load balancing and failover for routed links.
IEEE 802.3af PoE and IEEE 802.3at PoE+ (up to 30W per port) are both supported on Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches to lower the total cost of ownership for deployments that incorporate Cisco IP phones, Cisco Aironet® wireless access points, or other standards-compliant PoE and PoE+ end devices. PoE removes the need to supply wall power to PoE-enabled devices and eliminates the cost of adding electrical cabling and circuits that would otherwise be necessary in IP phone and WLAN deployments. The Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series PoE power allocation is dynamic, and power mapping scales up to a maximum of 740W of PoE+ power.
Perpetual PoE is supported on the Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series. With Perpetual PoE, the PoE+ power is maintained during a switch reload. This is important for critical endpoints such as medical devices and for Internet of Things (IoT) endpoints such as PoE-powered lights, so that there is no disruption during a switch reboot.
Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches provide a range of security features to limit access to the network and mitigate threats, including:
- MAC-based VLAN assignment, enabling different users to authenticate on different VLANs. This feature enables each user to have a different data VLAN on the same interface.
- Cisco TrustSec®, which uses Security Group Exchange Protocol (SXP) to simplify security and policy enforcement throughout the network. For more information about Cisco TrustSec security solutions, visit https://www.cisco.com/c/en_in/solutions/enterprise-networks/trustsec/index.html.
- Comprehensive 802.1X features to control access to the network, including Flexible Authentication, 802.1X monitor mode, and RADIUS Change of Authorization.
- IPv6 First-Hop Security enhances Layer 2 and Layer 3 network access for proliferating IPv6 devices, especially BYOD devices. It protects against rogue router advertisements, address spoofing, fake Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) replies, and other risks introduced by IPv6 technology.
- Device sensor and device classifier, enabling seamless versatile device profiles, including BYOD devices. They also enable the Cisco Identity Services Engine (ISE) to provision identity-based security policies. This feature is available on both the 2960-X and 2960-XR Series switches.
- Cisco Trust Anchor Technology, enabling easy distribution of a single universal image for all models of the 2960-X and 2960-XR Series by verifying the authenticity of Cisco IOS Software images. This technology allows the switch to perform Cisco IOS integrity checks at boot-up by verifying the signature, verifying the trusted asset under management, and authenticating the license.
- Cisco Threat Defense features, including Port Security, Dynamic ARP Inspection (DAI), and IP Source Guard.
- Private VLANs that restrict traffic between hosts in a common segment by segregating traffic at Layer 2, turning a broadcast segment into a nonbroadcast multiaccess-like segment. This feature is supported on both 2960-X and 2960-XR Series and is available in both LAN Base and IP Lite feature sets.
- Private VLAN Edge to provide security and isolation between switch ports, which helps ensure that users cannot snoop on other users’ traffic.
- Unicast Reverse Path Forwarding (uRPF) to help mitigate problems caused by the introduction of malformed or forged (spoofed) IP source addresses into a network by discarding IP packets that lack a verifiable IP source address. This feature is available in the IP Lite feature set only.
- Multidomain Authentication to allow an IP phone and a PC to authenticate on the same switch port while being placed on appropriate voice and data VLANs.
- Access Control Lists (ACLs) for IPv6 and IPv4 for security and QoS ACL elements (ACEs).
- VLAN ACLs on all VLANs to prevent unauthorized data flows from being bridged within VLANs.
- Router ACLs that define security policies on routed interfaces for control-plane and data-plane traffic. IPv6 ACLs can be applied to filter IPv6 traffic.
- Port-based ACLs for Layer 2 interfaces to allow security policies to be applied on individual switch ports.
- Downloadable ACLs (dACLs) to download ACLs from a RADIUS server during 802.1X authentication.
- SSH, Kerberos, and SNMPv3, providing network security by encrypting administrator traffic during Telnet and SNMP sessions. SSH, Kerberos, and the cryptographic version of SNMPv3 require a special cryptographic software image because of U.S. export restrictions.
- SPAN, with bidirectional data support, to allow Cisco Intrusion Detection System (IDS) to take action when an intruder is detected.
- TACACS+ and RADIUS authentication to facilitate centralized control of the switch and restrict unauthorized users from altering the configuration.
- MAC address Notification to notify administrators about users added to or removed from the network.
- Multilevel security on console access to prevent unauthorized users from altering the switch configuration.
- BPDU Guard to shut down Spanning-Tree Port Fast-enabled interfaces when BPDUs are received to avoid accidental topology loops.
- Spanning Tree Root Guard (STRG) to prevent edge devices that are not in the network administrator’s control from becoming Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) root nodes.
- Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) filtering to provide multicast authentication by filtering out nonsubscribers and to limit the number of concurrent multicast streams available per port.
- Dynamic VLAN assignment through implementation of VLAN Membership Policy Server client capability to provide flexibility in assigning ports to VLANs. Dynamic VLAN facilitates the fast assignment of IP addresses.
- Cisco Identity Services Engine (ISE) support to enable the 2960-XR Series switches to offer security management for all connected devices.
The Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches offer intelligent traffic management that keeps everything flowing smoothly. Flexible mechanisms for marking, classification, and scheduling deliver superior performance for data, voice, and video traffic, all at wire speed. Primary QoS features include:
- Up to eight egress queues per port and strict priority queuing so that the highest-priority packets are serviced ahead of all other traffic.
- Shaped Round Robin (SRR) scheduling and Weighted Tail Drop (WTD) congestion avoidance.
- Flow-based rate limiting and up to 256 aggregate or individual policers per port.
- 802.1p Class of Service (CoS) and Differentiated Services Code Point (DSCP) classification, with marking and reclassification on a per-packet basis by source and destination IP address, MAC address, or Layer 4 TCP/UDP port number.
- Cross-stack QoS to allow QoS to be configured across a stack of 2960-X and 2960-XR Series switches.
- Cisco Committed Information Rate (CIR) function, providing bandwidth in increments as low as 8 Kbps.
- Rate limiting based on source and destination IP address, source and destination MAC address, Layer 4 TCP/UDP information, or any combination of these fields, using QoS ACLs (IP ACLs or MAC ACLs), class maps, and policy maps.
Switching Database Manager (SDM) templates for LAN Base and IP Lite licenses allow the administrator to automatically optimize the Ternary Content-Addressable Memory (TCAM) allocation to the desired features based on deployment-specific requirements, including MAC, routing, security, and QoS scalability numbers, depending on the type of template used in the switch.
Please refer to the Configuring SDM Templates page for more information: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-0_2_EX/system_manage/configuration_guide/b_sm_152ex_2960-x_cg/b_sm_152ex_2960-x_cg_chapter_0100.html.
Table 10 lists the scalability for the LAN Lite and LAN Base licenses on the 2960-X Series. Table 11 lists the scalability for the IP Lite license on the 2960-XR Series.
Cisco Catalyst 2960-X Series LAN Lite and LAN Base scalability
- Unicast MAC addresses : 16,000
- ARP Entries : 8000
- IPv4 unicast direct routes : 2000
- IPv4 unicast indirect routes : 1000
- IPv6 unicast direct routes : 2000
- IPv6 unicast indirect routes : 1000
- IPv4 multicast routes and IGMP groups : 1000
- IPv6 multicast groups : 1000
- IPv4 QoS ACEs : 500
- IPv6 QoS ACEs : 500
- IPv4 security ACEs : 600
- IPv6 Security ACEs : 600
Redundancy and Resiliency
Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches offer a number of redundancy and resiliency features to prevent outages and help ensure that the network remains available:
- Cross-stack EtherChannel provides the ability to configure Cisco EtherChannel technology across different members of the stack for high resiliency.
- Flex Links provide link redundancy with a convergence time of less than 100 milliseconds.
- IEEE 802.1s/w Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (RSTP) and Multiple Spanning Tree Protocol (MSTP) provide rapid spanning-tree convergence independent of spanning-tree timers and also offer the benefit of Layer 2 load balancing and distributed processing. Stacked units behave as a single spanning-tree node.
- Per-VLAN Rapid Spanning Tree (PVRST+) allows rapid spanning-tree reconvergence on a per-VLAN spanning-tree basis, without requiring the implementation of spanning-tree instances.
- Cisco HSRP is supported to create redundant, fail-safe routing topologies in 2960-XR Series IP Lite SKUs.
- Switch-port auto-recovery (Error Disable) automatically attempts to reactivate a link that is disabled because of a network error.
- Power redundancy with an optional second power supply on 2960-XR Series models, or with an external redundant power supply (RPS) on 2960-X Series models.
Cisco Catalyst SmartOperations is a comprehensive set of capabilities that simplify LAN planning, deployment, monitoring, and troubleshooting. Deploying SmartOperations tools reduces the time and effort required to operate the network and lowers Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).
- Cisco AutoConfig services determine the level of network access provided to an endpoint based on the type of device. This feature also permits hard binding between the end device and the interface.
- Cisco Smart Install services enable minimal-touch deployment by providing automated Cisco IOS Software image installation and configuration when new switches are connected to the network. This enables network administrators to remotely manage Cisco IOS Software image installs and upgrades.
- Cisco Auto SmartPorts services enable automatic configuration of switch ports as devices connect to the switch, with settings optimized for the device type, for zero-touch port-policy provisioning.
- Cisco Auto-QoS automatically configures QoS, allowing the switch to manage QoS policies based on traffic types, resulting in zero-touch traffic engineering. Auto-QoS supports eight egress queues in the 2960-X and 2960-XR Series.
- Cisco Smart Troubleshooting is an extensive array of diagnostic commands and system health checks within the switch, including Smart Call Home. The Cisco Generic Online Diagnostics (GOLD) and online diagnostics on switches in live networks help predict and detect failures faster.
For more information about Cisco Catalyst SmartOperations, visit cisco.com/go/SmartOperations.
- Cisco AutoSecure provides a single-line CLI to enable baseline security features (Port Security, DHCP snooping, DAI). This feature simplifies security configurations.
- DHCP auto configuration of multiple switches through a boot server eases switch deployment.
- Stacking primary configuration management with Cisco FlexStack-Plus and Cisco FlexStack-Extended technology helps ensure that all switches are automatically upgraded when the primary switch receives a new software version. Automatic software version checking and updating help ensure that all stack members have the same software version.
- No configuration is required to use Cisco FlexStack-Plus and Cisco FlexStack-Extended modules for stacking (Plug and Play).
- Autonegotiation on all ports automatically selects half- or full-duplex transmission mode to optimize bandwidth.
- Dynamic Trunking Protocol (DTP) facilitates dynamic trunk configuration across all switch ports.
- Port Aggregation Protocol (PAgP) automates the creation of Cisco Fast EtherChannel groups or Gigabit EtherChannel groups to link to another switch, router, or server.
- Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) allows the creation of Ethernet channeling with devices that conform to IEEE 802.3ad. This feature is similar to Cisco EtherChannel technology and PAgP.
- Automatic Media-Dependent Interface Crossover (MDIX) automatically adjusts transmit and receive pairs if an incorrect cable type (crossover or straight-through) is installed.
- Unidirectional Link Detection Protocol (UDLD) and Aggressive UDLD allow unidirectional links caused by incorrect fiber-optic wiring or port faults to be detected and disabled on fiber-optic interfaces.
- SDM templates for access, routing, and VLAN deployment allow the administrator to easily maximize memory allocation to the desired features based on deployment-specific requirements.
- Local Proxy ARP works in conjunction with Private VLAN Edge to minimize broadcasts and maximize available bandwidth.
- VLAN1 minimization allows VLAN1 to be disabled on any individual VLAN trunk.
- Smart Multicast with Cisco FlexStack-Plus and FlexStack-Extended technology allows the Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series to offer greater efficiency and support for more multicast data streams such as video by putting each data packet onto the backplane only once.
- IGMP Snooping for IPv4 and IPv6 and Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD) v1 and v2 Snooping provide fast client joins and leaves of multicast streams and limit bandwidth-intensive video traffic to only the requesters.
- Multicast VLAN Registration (MVR) continuously sends multicast streams in a multicast VLAN while isolating the streams from subscriber VLANs for bandwidth and security reasons.
- Per-port broadcast, multicast, and unicast storm control prevents faulty end stations from degrading overall system performance.
- Voice VLAN simplifies telephony installations by keeping voice traffic on a separate VLAN for easier administration and troubleshooting.
- Cisco VLAN Trunking Protocol (VTP) supports dynamic VLANs and dynamic trunk configuration across all switches.
- Remote Switch Port Analyzer (RSPAN) allows administrators to remotely monitor ports in a Layer 2 switch network from any other switch in the same network.
- For enhanced traffic management, monitoring, and analysis, the embedded Remote Monitoring (RMON) software agent supports four RMON groups (history, statistics, alarms, and events).
- Layer 2 trace route eases troubleshooting by identifying the physical path that a packet takes from source to destination.
- Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP) reduces the cost of administering software upgrades by downloading from a centralized location.
- Network Time Protocol (NTP) provides an accurate and consistent timestamp to all intranet switches.
The Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches offer a range of industry-leading features for effective energy efficiency and energy management. They are the greenest switches in the industry.
Switch Hibernation Mode (SHM) is an industry first and available on all 2960-X and 2960-XR Series switches. This feature puts the switch in ultra-low-power mode during periods of nonoperation such as nights or weekends. SHM on the 2960-X and 2960-XR Series switches can be scheduled using Cisco EnergyWise® compliant management software.
IEEE 802.3az EEE (Energy Efficient Ethernet) enables ports to dynamically sense idle periods between traffic bursts and quickly switch the interfaces into a low-power idle mode, reducing power consumption.
Cisco EnergyWise policies can be used to control the power consumed by PoE-powered endpoints, desktop and data-center IT equipment, and a wide range of building infrastructure. Cisco EnergyWise technology is included on all Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches.
For more information about Cisco EnergyWise, visit cisco.com/go/energywise.
- Flash memory : 128 MB for LAN Base and IP Lite SKUs, 64 MB for LAN Lite SKUs
- DRAM : 512 MB for LAN Base and 256 MB for LAN Lite
- CPU : APM86392 600 MHz dual core
- Console ports : USB (Type B), Ethernet (RJ-45)
- Storage interface : USB (Type A) for external flash storage
- Network management interface : 10/100 Mbps Ethernet (RJ-45)
Performance and scalability
- Forwarding bandwidth : 108 Gbps
- Switching bandwidth* : 216 Gbps
- Maximum active VLANs : 1023
- VLAN IDs available : 4096
- Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU)-L3 packet : 9198 bytes
- Jumbo frame - Ethernet frame : 9216 bytes
- Inches (H x D x W) : 1.75 x 14.5 x 17.5
- Centimeters (H x D x W) : 4.5 x 36.8 x 44.5
- Pounds : 12.9
- Kilograms : 5.8
- Operating temperature up to 5000 ft (1500 m)
- 23º to 113ºF (Fahrenheit)
- -5º to 45ºC (Centigrade)
- Operating temperature up to 10,000 ft (3000 m)
- 23º to 104ºF (Fahrenheit)
- -5º to 40ºC (Centigrade)
- Short-term exception at sea level*
- 23º to 131ºF (Fahrenheit)
- -5º to 55ºC (Centigrade)
- Short-term exception up to 5000 feet (1500 m)*
- 23º to 122ºF (Fahrenheit)
- -5º to 50ºC (Centigrade)
- Short-term exception up to 10,000 feet (3000 m)*
- 23º to 113ºF (Fahrenheit)
- -5º to 45ºC (Centigrade)
- Short-term exception up to 13,000 feet (4000 m)*
- 23º to 104ºF (Fahrenheit)
- -5º to 40ºC (Centigrade)
- Storage temperature up to 15,000 feet (4573 m)
- -13º to 158ºF (Fahrenheit)
- -25º to 70ºC (Centigrade)
- Operating altitude
- Up to 10,000 (Feet)
- Up to 3000 (Meters)
- Storage altitude
- Up to 13,000 (Feet)
- Up to 4000 (Meters)
- Operating relative humidity : 10% to 95% noncondensing
- Storage relative humidity : 10% to 95% noncondensing
- Acoustic noise
- Measured per ISO 7779 and declared per ISO 9296. PoE output of 185W or less where applicable.
- Bystander positions operating mode at 77°F (25°C) ambient.
Connectors and interfaces
- Ethernet interfaces
- 10BASE-T ports: RJ-45 connectors, 2-pair Category 3, 4, or 5 unshielded twisted pair (UTP) cabling
- 100BASE-TX ports: RJ-45 connectors, 2-pair Category 5 UTP cabling
- 1000BASE-T ports: RJ-45 connectors, 4-pair Category 5 UTP cabling
- 1000BASE-T SFP-based ports: RJ-45 connectors, 4-pair Category 5 UTP cabling
- SFP and SFP+ interfaces
- For information about supported SFP and SFP+ modules, refer to the Transceiver Compatibility matrix tables at cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps5455/products_device_support_tables_list.html.
- Indicator LEDs
- Per-port status: Link integrity, disabled, activity, speed, and full duplex
- System status: System, RPS, stack link status, link duplex, PoE, and link speed
- Stacking interfaces
- Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series FlexStack-Plus and FlexStack-Extended (hybrid module only) stacking cables:
- CAB-STK-E-0.5M stacking cable with a 0.5 m length
- CAB-STK-E-1M stacking cable with a 1.0 m length
- CAB-STK-E-3M stacking cable with a 3.0 m length
- Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series console cables:
- CAB-CONSOLE-RJ45 Console cable 6 ft. with RJ-45
- CAB-CONSOLE-USB Console cable 6 ft. with USB Type A and mini-B connectors
- The internal power supply is an auto-ranging unit and supports input voltages between 100 and 240V AC
- Use the supplied AC power cord to connect the AC power connector to an AC power outlet
- The Cisco RPS connector offers connection for an optional Cisco RPS 2300 that uses AC input and supplies DC output to the switch
- Only the Cisco RPS 2300 (model PWR-RPS2300) should be attached to the redundant-power-system receptacle
Management and standards support
- ePM MIB
- CISCO-STACKWISE-MIB (2960-X)
- For an updated list of supported MIBs, refer to the MIB Locator at cisco.com/go/mibs
- IEEE 802.1D Spanning Tree Protocol
- IEEE 802.1p CoS Prioritization
- IEEE 802.1Q VLAN
- IEEE 802.1s
- IEEE 802.1w
- IEEE 802.1X
- IEEE 802.1ab (LLDP)
- IEEE 802.3ad
- IEEE 802.3af and IEEE 802.3at
- IEEE 802.3ah (100BASE-X single/multimode fiber only)
- IEEE 802.3x full duplex on 10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, and 1000BASE-T ports
- IEEE 802.3 10BASE-T
- IEEE 802.3u 100BASE-TX
- IEEE 802.3ab 1000BASE-T
- IEEE 802.3z 1000BASE-X
- RMON I and II standards
- SNMP v1, v2c, and v3
- IEEE 802.3az
- IEEE 802.3ae 10 Gigabit Ethernet
- IEEE 802.1ax
- RFC compliance
- RFC 768 - UDP
- RFC 783 - TFTP
- RFC 791 - IP
- RFC 792 - ICMP
- RFC 793 - TCP
- RFC 826 - ARP
- RFC 854 - Telnet
- RFC 951 - Bootstrap Protocol (BOOTP)
- RFC 959 - FTP
- RFC 1112 - IP Multicast and IGMP
- RFC 1157 - SNMP v1
- RFC 1166 - IP Addresses
- RFC 1256 - Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) Router Discovery
- RFC 1305 - NTP
- RFC 1492 - TACACS+
- RFC 1493 - Bridge MIB
- RFC 1542 - BOOTP extensions
- RFC 1643 - Ethernet Interface MIB
- RFC 1757 - RMON
- RFC 1901 - SNMP v2C
- RFC 1902-1907 - SNMP v2
- RFC 1981 - Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) Path Discovery IPv6
- FRC 2068 - HTTP
- RFC 2131 - DHCP
- RFC 2138 - RADIUS
- RFC 2233 - IF MIB v3
- RFC 2373 - IPv6 Aggregatable Addrs
- RFC 2460 - IPv6
- RFC 2461 - IPv6 Neighbor Discovery
- RFC 2462 - IPv6 Autoconfiguration
- RFC 2463 - ICMP IPv6
- RFC 2474 - Differentiated Services (DiffServ) Precedence
- RFC 2597 - Assured Forwarding
- RFC 2598 - Expedited Forwarding
- RFC 2571 - SNMP Management
- RFC 2865 - RADIUS
- RFC 3046 - DHCP Relay Agent Information Option
- RFC 3376 - IGMP v3
- RFC 3580 - 802.1X RADIUS
Customers with Cisco IOS IP Lite, LAN Base, or LAN Lite software feature sets will be provided with maintenance updates and bug fixes designed to maintain the compliance of the software with published specifications, release notes, and industry standards as long as the original end user continues to own or use the product or up to 1 year from the end-of-sale date for this product, whichever occurs earlier.
This policy supersedes any previous warranty or software statement and is subject to change without notice
Safety and compliance
- UL 60950-1 Second Edition
- CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 60950-1 Second Edition
- EN 60950-1 Second Edition
- IEC 60950-1 Second Edition
- AS/NZS 60950-1
- EMC – emissions
- 47CFR Part 15 (CFR 47) Class A
- AS/NZS CISPR22 Class A
- CISPR22 Class A
- EN55022 Class A
- ICES003 Class A
- VCCI Class A
- KN22 Class A
- CNS13438 Class A
- EMC – immunity
- Reduction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) including Directive 2011/65/EU
- Common Language Equipment Identifier (CLEI) code
- US government certifications
- USGv6 and IPv6 Ready Logo
Cisco Enhanced Limited Lifetime Hardware Warranty
Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches come with an Enhanced Limited Lifetime Warranty (E-LLW). The E-LLW provides the same terms as Cisco’s standard limited lifetime warranty but adds next-business-day delivery of replacement hardware, where available, and 90 days of 8x5 Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) support.
Your formal warranty statement, including the warranty applicable to Cisco software, appears in the Cisco information packet that accompanies your Cisco product. We encourage you to review carefully the warranty statement shipped with your specific product before use.
Cisco reserves the right to refund the purchase price as its exclusive warranty remedy. For further information about warranty terms, visit https://www.cisco.com/go/warranty.
Cisco enhanced limited lifetime hardware warranty
- Device covered : Applies to all Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches.
- Warranty duration : As long as the original end user continues to own or use the product.
- End-of-life policy : In the event of discontinuance of product manufacture, Cisco warranty support is limited to five (5) years from the announcement of discontinuance.
- Hardware replacement : Cisco or its service center will use commercially reasonable efforts to ship a Cisco Catalyst 2960-X or 2960-XR Series replacement part for next-business-day delivery, where available. Otherwise, a replacement will be shipped within ten (10) working days after the receipt of the RMA request. Actual delivery times may vary depending on customer location.
- Effective date : Hardware warranty commences from the date of shipment to customer (and in case of resale by a Cisco reseller, not more than ninety  days after original shipment by Cisco).
- TAC support : Cisco will provide, during customer's local business hours, 8 hours per day, 5 days per week basic configuration, diagnosis, and troubleshooting of device-level problems for up to 90 days from the date of shipment of the originally purchased Cisco Catalyst 2960-X or 2960-XR Series product. This support does not include solution or network-level support beyond the specific device under consideration.
- Cisco.com access : Warranty allows guest access only to Cisco.com.
Technical Support and Services
- Cisco Smart Net Total Care™ Service
- Around-the-clock, global access to the Cisco TAC
- Unrestricted access to the extensive Cisco.com knowledge base and tools
- Next-business-day, 8x5x4, 24x7x4, or 24x7x2 advance hardware replacement and onsite parts replacement and installation available 1
- Ongoing operating system software updates within the licensed feature set 2
- Proactive diagnostics and real-time alerts on Smart Call Home enabled devices
- Cisco Smart Foundation Service
- Next-business-day advance hardware replacement as available
- Access to SMB TAC during business hours (access levels vary by region)
- Access to Cisco.com SMB knowledge base
- Online technical resources through Smart Foundation Portal
- Operating system software bug fixes and patches
- Cisco Smart Care Service
- Network-level coverage for the needs of small and medium-sized businesses
- Proactive health checks and periodic assessments of Cisco network foundation, voice, and security technologies
- Technical support for eligible Cisco hardware and software through Smart Care Portal
- Cisco operating system and application software updates and upgrades 2
- Next-business-day advance hardware replacement as available, 24x7x4 option available 1
- Cisco SP Base Service
- Around-the-clock, global access to the Cisco TAC
- Registered access to Cisco.com
- Next-business-day, 8x5x4, 24x7x4, and 24x7x2 advance hardware replacement. Return to factory option available 1
- Ongoing operating system software updates 2
- Cisco Focused Technical Support Services
- Three levels of premium, high-touch services are available:
- Cisco High-Touch Operations Management Service
- Cisco High-Touch Technical Support Service
- Cisco High-Touch Engineering Service
- Valid Cisco Smart Net Total Care or SP Base contracts are required on all network equipment
1 Advance hardware replacement is available in various service-level combinations. For example, 8x5xNBD indicates that shipment will be initiated during the standard 8-hour business day, 5 days a week (the generally accepted business days within the relevant region), with Next-Business-Day (NBD) delivery. Where NBD is not available, same- day shipping is provided. Restrictions apply; please review the appropriate service descriptions for details.
2 Cisco operating system updates include the following: maintenance releases, minor updates, and major updates within the licensed feature set.
Cisco ONE Software
Cisco ONE Software for Access Switching is available for the Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches.
Cisco ONE Software offers a simplified consumption model, centered on common customer scenarios in the data center, WANs, and LANs.
Cisco ONE Software and services provide customers with four primary benefits:
- Software suites that address typical customer use scenarios at an attractive price
- Investment protection for their software purchase through software services-enabled license portability
- Access to ongoing innovation and new technology with Cisco Software Support Service (SWSS)
- Flexible licensing models to smoothly distribute customers' software spending over time
For ordering information for Cisco ONE Software for the Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches, go to https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/software/one-access/switching-part-numbers.html.
Cisco DNA Subscription Licensing
Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches support term-based Cisco DNA Essentials licenses (DNA-E).
Ordering and managing licenses with smart accounts: Creating smart accounts by using the Cisco Smart Software Manager (SSM) enables you to order devices and licensing packages and also to manage your software licenses from a centralized website. You can set up Cisco SSM to receive daily email alerts and to be notified of expiring add-on licenses that you want to renew. When the license term expires, you can either renew the add-on license to continue using it or deactivate the add-on license and then reload the switch to continue operating with the base license capabilities.
- 10/100/1000 Ethernet interfaces : 48
- Uplink interfaces : 4 SFP
- Cisco IOS Software feature set : LAN Base
- Available PoE power : 740W
- FlexStack-Plus, FlexStack-Extended : Optional