5-bay 3.5"/2.5" SATA expansion
Easily add 5 additional drive bays to Synology DiskStation1. Supporting both 2.5" and 3.5" SATA drives, DX517 is a flexible solution supporting on-the-fly volume expansion or serving as a local backup destination.
Online volume expansion
Managed from DiskStation Manager on the host NAS, the additional bays in the DX517 are immediately ready to be used once connected. On-the-fly volume expansion ensures that storage and services on the host are not interrupted during volume expansion.
Hot-swappable drive tray design
The hot-swappable drive trays of DX517 allow easy drive installation and replacement without powering down the system. Screwless drive tray design reduces the time needed for system setup.
Dedicated local backup solution
Synology DX517 can be used as a dedicated local backup solution for the Synology DiskStation. When created as a separate volume, the DX517 provides a great backup solution to its local hard disks in case of system failure.
- Supports creating volumes across different units :
- 21 series : DS1621xs+, DS1621+, DVA3221
- 20 series : DS1520+, DS920+, DS720+
- 19 series : DS1819+, DS1019+
- 18 series : DS1618+, DS918+, DS718+, NVR1218
- 17 series : DS1817+, DS1817, DS1517+, DS1517
- 16 series : DS916+, DS716+, DS716+II
- 15 series : DS1815+, DS1515+, DS1515
- Supports creating volumes on a single unit only :
- 18 series : DS218+
- 16 series : DS216+, DS216+II, NVR216
- 15 series : DS415+
- Notes :
- For more information on the compatibility of each expansion unit, please refer to this article.
- Please upgrade to DSM 6.2.1-23824-5 or later version before using it with 15 and 16 series models (excluding DS1515, DS716+, and DS716+II).
- To have better performance, we recommend creating storage volumes physically located within the same NAS or Expansion Unit, rather than creating volumes across your NAS and Expansion Unit.
- Drive Bays : 5
- Compatible Drive Type* (See all supported drives) :
- 3.5" SATA HDD
- 2.5" SATA HDD
- 2.5" SATA SSD
- Maximum Internal Raw Capacity : 80 TB (16 TB drive x 5) (Capacity may vary by RAID types)
- Hot Swappable Drive : Yes
- RAID Management through Synology DSM : Yes
- eSATA Port : 1
- Size (Height x Width x Depth) : 157 mm x 248 mm x 233 mm
- Weight : 3.91 kg
- Power Recovery : Synchronized with the Synology DiskStation
- Power Supply Unit / Adapter : 200 W
- AC Input Power Voltage : 100 V to 240 V AC
- Power Frequency : 50/60 Hz, Single Phase
- Power Consumption* : 29.9 W (Access)
- 2.4 W (HDD Hibernation)
- British Thermal Unit : 102.02 BTU/hr (Access)
- 8.19 BTU/hr (HDD Hibernation)
- Notes : Power consumption is measured when it is fully loaded with Western Digital 1TB WD10EFRX hard drive(s).
- Operating Temperature : 5°C to 40°C (40°F to 104°F)
- Storage Temperature : -10°C to 70°C (15°F to 155°F)
- Relative Humidity : 5% to 95% RH
- System Fan : 80 mm x 80 mm x 2 pcs
- Easy Replacement System Fan : Yes
- Noise Level* : 21.5 dB(A)
- Notes : Noise Level Testing Environment: Fully loaded with Seagate 1TB ST31000520AS hard drive(s) in the idle state. Two G.R.A.S. Type 40AE microphones, each set up 1 meter away from the Synology NAS at the front and rear. Background noise: 16.49-17.51 dB(A); Temperature: 24.25-25.75?C; Humidity: 58.2-61.8%
- 3-year hardware warranty, extendable to 5-year coverage - EW201
- Notes : The warranty period starts from the purchase date as stated on your purchase receipt. (Learn more)
Environment & Packaging
- RoHS Compliant
- Packaging Content
- Main Unit X 1
- Accessory Pack X 1
- AC Power Cord X 1
- Expansion Cable: eSATA X 1
- Quick Installation Guide X 1
- 2.5" SATA SSD : SAT5200